The Divine Mercy RC Primary School - MFL Curriculum Intent
“They were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak different languages as the Spirit gave them power to express themselves.” (Acts 2:4-6)
At The Divine Mercy we reflect the National Curriculum aims to:
- Liberate our children from insularity and provide an interest in and an awareness of other cultures.
- We hope to foster our pupils’ curiosity and deepen their understanding of the world through the experience provided by learning another language – French.
- Pupils should be able to express their ideas and thoughts in another language, whilst understanding and responding to, its speakers, both in speech and writing.
- We intend to provide opportunities for them to communicate for practical purposes, learn new ways of thinking and read literature in the foreign language.
- We hope that by learning a language, our children will be inspired to further learn languages thereby equipping them with the means to widen their horizons.
In tIn this subject:
Through relevant, rich and varied MFL curriculum The Divine Mercy children will develop their social, emotional link to the immediate community and they will acquire the necessary linguistic skills to keep up with the changing world. At The Divine Mercy we intend to create space and opportunity for cultural appreciation of the diversity in our society and both their own and others’ heritage. Our intention is to enable each child to develop their interest in learning other languages and to foster children’s curiosity to deepen their understanding of the world.
Following the programme of study for the National Curriculum, we want The Divine Mercy children to:
- Listen attentively to spoken language
- Explore the patterns and sounds of language through songs and rhymes, linking the spelling, sound and meaning of words
- Speak in sentences, using familiar and new vocabulary, phrases and basic language structures
- Read carefully and show understanding of words, phrases and simple writing
- Broaden their vocabulary
- Write phrases from memory and create new sentences
- Become familiar with rudimentary grammar
Jesus I Trust in You